Here is our basic step-by-step guide to using iMovie, a free editing software. These instructions refer to use on an iPad, although many of the steps are transferable to Mac or iPhone. This is available as a downloadable PDF here.
- Open up the app.
- Click Create a New Movie and select a chosen theme.
- Name your film, e.g. 'My Smartphone Film.'
- Import footage from the iPhoto library from the left hand side of the screen.
- Double-click the clip to select the whole clip, or use the cropping arrows to use a smaller section of the clip. Drag your chosen clip down into the editing suite at the bottom of the window.
- You can start practicing using just one clip, or dragging multiple clips to create a longer film.
- To remove the original audio from the clip double-click it. This can be achieved by holding your finger down on the clip until a drop down menu appears. Select Detach Audio. The audio will appear below the clip. Double click the audio and select Delete.
- To shorten the clip either use the cropping arrows inwards, or click where you wish to shorten the clip. Right-click and select Split Clip from the drop down menu.
- Almost everything you need to adjust your clip or add effects can be found on the top right hand corner.
- To begin editing, click on the clip you want to edit and select the Adjust tool.
- To layer one clip on top of the other, drag one so it sits on top of the other. Select the Opacity icon and drag the opacity bar to the left.
- To adjust the speed of your clip, select the Speed icon (which looks like a hare) and slide the bar to speed up or slow down your clip.
- To adjust the light balance or colouring of your clip, select the Paint Palette icon.
- If your clip appears shaky, you can stabilise the image by clicking the Stabiliser Icon (which looks like a camcorder with lines above and below).
- To add a video effect to your clip, click on the Effects Icon, and click on an effect to apply it to the video.
- To add a song to your film, click iTunes in the Content Library in the bottom left-hand corner of the window. Drag your song into the audio bar at the bottom of the editing suite.
- You can change the volume of the song by selecting the Audio Icon in the top right-hand corner of the window and dragging the percentage bar left or right.
- To add an audio effect to your clip select the Video Effect Icon and click on the drop down menu Audio Effect. Choose and click your audio effect.
- Select Transitions from the content library at the bottom left hand side of the window. Select your transition and drag it between two clips.